04 January, 2014

This Week in Gaming / 04-01-2014 - 2013 GoTY

It's been a few weeks since I did a blog because I've been assailed by another bout of atrocious sickness. Not to mention I've been busy during the times I'm feeling not so wretched. The end of the year has happened, so that's nice. Now I can stop hearing about end of the year lists, and best of 2013 articles. Funnily enough, this will feature both. I'll start off saying that I've been playing a lot of Minecraft for the 360, lately. I actually prefer the console version over the PC version... it just feels better. This has taken up a lot of my time. So has the newest Tomb Raider game, which has surprised me quite a bit. I spent some time in Lineage 2, which manages to claw it's way into my soul for at least a few months every year, then lamented the overpopulation of bots, and uninstalled it again. Final Fantasy VIII got some time, as did Borderlands 2, Bit.Trip Runner 1 & 2, and Skyrim. But mainly it's been Bravely Default and Minecraft.

Actually, Bravely Default is a game I hadn't expected to get before the year ended, so it wasn't initially included on my possible game of the year list. Whereas it didn't make my game of the year, it did come close. It's really quite good. I also managed to get Soul Hackers on the cheap, and it's super as well, but not really game of the year material. Killer is Dead was also mentioned on my hope to get list, and get it I did, but I haven't beat it yet, so it's not game of the year.

It shouldn't come as a surprise, however, that Remember Me is my official Game of 2013. I don't really need to go in to the whys of it here, as I've got a review of it up, and that sums up my joy in regards to it, but I will say that if you don't have it then you're missing out on an amazing game, and under appreciated game. It might not be your kind of game, though, but if you don't try it, you'll never know. I would recommend the PS3 version of it, as that's the version I played, but I don't know the quality of the 360/PC version, so I can't speak to that. I can't imagine playing it with a kb/m though.

Of course, now that the GoTY is said, the runners up come out. It's slightly harder to place the runners up; in some cases more so than the actual GoTY. I'd say it's probably something like Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tales of Xillia, and the DmC: Devil May Cry reboot. I still haven't done reviews for these runners up, as I said I would, but I'll get around to it some time. TM.

Thank you to the many people who gifted me games on Steam... that was unexpected, and I'll get around to playing them as I can. This can't be much longer of a post, unfortunately, as I'm still not at all well, but I hope the year brings great games to every one. Goodbye!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel a bit better by now... if not, get well soon, me duck!

    I did download the DMC reboot from PS+. Never played any of the older games, so will be interesting to see what I make of it.

    ReplyDelete